Sunday, September 7, 2008

Touching

I have recently noticed that I relate emotions directly to touching. So, for instance, if my bf doesn't touch me, I immediately think that there is something wrong, or that no matter how much it's said that he loves me, I don't believe it.
Maybe I've been deprived hugs as a child, I don't know. Touching can mean, holding my hand, my foot touching his as we sleep, or a kiss on the forhead, but if I'm not being touched, in some way, frequently, then I don't feel like you care.
Be honest with me...is this twisted?

5 Other Thoughts:

love said...

You're not crazy. I know how it feels too. I was also deprived physical touch and affection as a child and I'm such a lovey dovey touchy feeling (how cliche does that sound) type of gal.
For me it's hard sometimes with all the muck that clouds up my brain to think straight and so I think he'd be better off and happier with someone whose simple minded and not bipolar or depressed that it nags at me. but our partners, husbands,etc.. they choose us and they love us for who we are. It's usually me that doesn't see things clearly. Maybe he's tired from a long day, or maybe he has a headache and isn't telling you. There are so many reasons why but find if we gently and kindly tell our men what it is that we so very much like and crave and then tell them how much it means when they do what we like i.e., being affection that over time they'll just naturally do it!
Love to you,
michelle

JC said...

Touching is a natural way to give and show affection, and for some people, it's their primary love language! I don't think it's twisted at all.

Anonymous said...

The deprivation of touch is the greatest form of child abuse even as 'enlightened' as I now am I still possess all the beghaviors you speak of and Michelle is right communication and asking for what you need is the key

Anonymous said...

Hi Amber...I don't think it's weird...I'm pretty jumpy about people I don't know well touching me at all (even brushing by!)...and I figure I'm weird too. You seem really interesting, I'm glad I came across your blog, I'm a chronic pain sufferer too, feel free to come say hi :)
-Caf

Kass said...

Nope. I get pretty depressed if I don't have some kind of caring physical contact in a while. It's a natural reaction for many of us. We are made to feel things. That's why sometimes it's so hard to believe in things that are not tangible.