Thursday, March 22, 2007

Courage

I just want to remind everyone about the amount of courage that it takes to write a blog like this. A blog period is hard, but to get as personal as to record your life as a mentall ill individual is so on another level.
I am, somewhat, of a different individual. I went to personally accepting my illness to completely being in deial and still trying to convince others. Most people start with denial...like I said, I am a different individual. I think denial takes over me most when I am off my meds. I try to convince myself that there is nothing wrong with me, and then I cry myself to sleep, or I can't get out of bed, or I flip out on someone for sneezing. Or maybe when I can hold a 2 minute conversation and cover 40 different topics and have the other person look at me as if I'm nuts, or even when I can't leave the house...I make it out of the bed, but can't leave the house.
I created this blog to promote awareness. I am hiding nothing. All 3 of my blogs are connected. You know my name, Amber Anique, you know, from my other blogs, who my best friends are and the people who play a major roll in my life.
Needless to say, when one of the people closest to me laugh at me and tell me there is nothing wrong with me...I take it VERY HARD. Granted, she is not here with me to see my ups, downs, and in betweens, but I thought that she would be one of them who would support me, even if I had a third eye underneath my armpit. She's not the first person that I've gone through this with, a few people decided that not being a part of my life was the easier pill to swallow than accepting my illness...oddly enough, I'm the one swallowing pills. People who choose not to accept me can see the door. You are not the one having the attacks, in fear of life and a new relationship with medication, or even the heartache of being stigmatized by society, and the lack of acceptance by your family and friends. You are not the one who, HONESTLY, has to go through this alone.

DO NOT JUDGE UNTIL YOU HAVE DONE YOUR HOMEWORK!!!
HERE'S A FEW SITES TO BEGIN RESEARCH, IF YOU HAVE THE COURAGE...

Children and Adults with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disroder (CHADD)
AD/HD Link through CHADD

National Institute of Mental Health Links (NIMH)
AD/HD
Bipolar Disorder
OCD
Depression
Anxiety Disorder
Panic Disorder

YOU CAN CHOOSE TO IGNORE MENTAL DISABILITIES/ILLNESSES...BUT JUST LIKE DIABETIES, CANCER, AIDS...THEY STILL EXIST!

2 Other Thoughts:

Anonymous said...

'a few people decided that not being a part of my life was the easier pill to swallow than accepting my illness...oddly enough, I'm the one swallowing pills'..

so eloquent, i dont think anyone has said this better.
ive been there, and i want to give those individuals who run away from being supportive the benefit of the doubt but, you know what? f*ck em. We have enough things to worry and gripe about and dont need to detract from our stability to try to inform and educate them. Life is too short.

Butterfly said...

You are not the messenger.

Tough to hear, but it's true. People will learn in their own time, and even if they don't we truly can't hold it against them as much as we want to.

May it get better.