Monday, March 12, 2007

Not a Total Loss

I got out of the house today after literally being held captive in my bedroom. I felt as if there was no reason to do too much of anything like sleep, wake up, take meds, and eat. Due to my OCD, one thing will ALWAYS remain consistent...I will bathe at least once a day & wash my face & brush my teeth...then I'll go back to sleep, lol!

I went to my first ADD meeting today, hosted by CHADD. I'm very happy I went, however, I wasn't impressed.
The presenter for this meeting was Rochelle Toga-Figa, and the topic was her sales model...The Sales Breakthrough System. As a whole, the meeting was very good, she was a great public speaker, & was prepared with pamphlets and activities.
But, this was my problem with it....
Everyone there had one thing in common...we all have ADD...we were not there to learn how to sell. We have issues with attention, so speaking about things that generally don't pertain to us personally is a waste of time. We should have been discussing techniques for us to get to the point that we will be able to effectively sell. We don't want to be "labeled" as disabled, however, we came to a meeting for people with this specific disability...we should be treated as such, not like "normal" people. The seminar should have been catered toward me, and others like me.
During the seminar, I looked around and saw ADD in action...some were paying attention, others...well, they were in their own world, while some were trying to comprehend & connect the dots. As for me, I took my meds, purposely, & when I finally understood what the topic of the seminar was, I paid close attention to what the presenter was saying. Not because I needed the info, although I did pick up a couple of pointers that I will more than likely use, but because I knew what was coming up next, and felt like someone needed to be schooled.
She said....
*You can control your mind
*You can control your thoughts
*Limiting your thoughts
*We didn't want to live like that (in other words, we don't want to be confused & disorganized)

Here are my thoughts...
While the information may be useful to most, it does nothing without a starting point, which we have none.
Our disability means we can't control our mind, and our thoughts, this is why we came to the meeting seeking assistance. No, we don't want to live like this! We want help, but just making the statement doesn't help us if you don't point us in the right direction.
Preparation breeds confidence & with assistance & practice you can (God willing) effectively communicate...
TELL ME SOMETHING I DON'T KNOW, LIKE...how do I slow my thoughts down, then organize them so I can prepare? What are some techniques that have been proven effective to gain self-confidence? If I have memory issues..How can I train myself so that I can be prepared, have confidence, & effectively communicate?
Not a total loss....
I'm a little annoyed, but I will go back next month. If nothing else, I felt comfortable in a setting with people of "like minds". And, I did meet a few people...Jodi, Jessica, Steve...& a few others (pardon me, I have memory issues & I can't remember everyone's name).

0 Other Thoughts: