Monday, May 14, 2007

NAMI WALK

The first annual walk in NYC for NAMI. I was excited to go, but tired as hell as I go NO sleep last night. Yup, my insomnia is back. So bad that I couldn't even cry myself to sleep. My family went with me, and even raised $100~ for the event. I still think they are a little ignorant to what's going on with me, although, it's not entirely their fault, but they were willing to come out and support me. That made me feel good! It helped that they were there because none of the people that were supposed to be there showed up. Not even my best friend...Yeah, I'm a little disappointed, but I'm not going to take it personally.
With no rest, I knew I'd be EXTRA IMPATIENT...so, I passed over the Ritalin and went straight to the Concerta! Did it help....well...we got there about an hour prior to registration because I wanted to give my girls (from my volunteer work) enough time to get there. Registration began at 9am so we arrived at 8am. The first time WE as a family arrived on time/early to ANYTHING! We wait for about 15 minutes and the one girl who was supposed to come, that didn't call out, never showed! That's ok, they'll learn a lesson soon enough. We wait patiently until 9am. They were running behind time...that's ok because I took my meds ;-). We walk in and I go to the table that is CLEARLY MARKED.."Area for people who have not pre-registered". That's us! I go over to the table and explain to the woman that I am a team captain, and I have the correct forms filled out for the people on my team who have not pre-registered. I ask, "should I give these forms to you?" Woman replies, "I don't know. Why don't you take them over to the team captain table, they should know what to do with them." I, of course, have my confused look on my face. But, since I am "with meds", she may just be safe for the moment.
I, then, walk over to the team captain table. I inform the woman of my name and team name and tell her that I registered online, however, I do have more money that was collected to turn in accompanied with the correct forms completely filled out. She then hands me an envelope, that has the EXACT SAME form on the front of it that I already have completed. She tells me to write the information on the envelope...WHAT!?!? WHY?!? I WILL DO NO SUCH THING!..is what I was thinking, lol. (I bet you thought I had already lost it. Fooled you! Concerta is a WONDERFUL THING!) I went on to explain to her that there was no difference between the two, and that I would not be re-writing anything. I explained SEVERAL TIMES. Someone finally came over to assist her, took the money, and was about to send me along my merry way when I, again, say that I have team members who are here that have not pre-registered, but I have the correct forms filled out for them. She says she doesn't know what to with them, for me to go back over to the first table I went to.
Let me just make an EXTREMELY LONG STORY SHORT...for about 20 minutes I was passed around from person to person, getting more frustrated by the second...and ON THE EDGE OF FLIPPING OUT!! I was finally taken to the person in charge of the entire walk, and was asked to repeat what my problem was. WHY DO I KEEP HAVING TO REPEAT MYSELF?!?!
She was nice enough, and took the damn forms without me having to throw a huge tantrum. Smart on her part. Then, I was apologized to profusely. Their excuse, this is the first walk, and they were doing the best they could...UMMMM...NOT MY PROBLEM!!!
In my opinion, you knew that you were dealing with mentally ill people, you needed to have prepared for this. Disorganization, and shoving me from person to person is more than enough reason for me to go off!! They were somewhat prepared though...they had police on stand by, lol!!
We could have done without the entertainment portion, and the people that they chose to speak were ill prepared. For some reason the route that they chose wasn't blocked off for us to walk. We had to stop for green lights and police officers had to direct traffic. After a lonnnnggg 5k walk, I decided there was only one way for me to feel good about all of this...I had to become a part of the event.

End result...
My family and I completed the 5k walk! After we were done, I networked! I NEVER NETWORK...BUT, I DID IT! And, I am pleased to announce...
I WILL BE ASSISTING WITH EVENT PLANNING FOR THE 2008 NAMI WALK!!!

Being on meds helps me be the BEST me...I am looking forward to my doctor's appointment on Wednesday!!!

2 Other Thoughts:

Anonymous said...

AWESOME!!!!!! Keep me posted Ms. assistant.!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Way to go girl. You did great. I'm amaze at all the could coping you did. Don't put it all to the fact that you had take meds. Please take credit for the good in this moment. We all know that we can take all the meds and still have a outburst. I'm really proud of you! You are on the right track. Nadcesca xx